> My only real concern is that when Perl 6 comes out, the community will be
> fractured, and we -- you, me, Larry, Damian -- will need to work to
> minimize the damage, for the benefit of Perl 5 and Perl 6 users.  We will
> need to deal with CPAN/PAUSE/RT/search, we will need to deal with IRC and
> PerlMonks and use Perl; we will need to deal with Usenet; we will need to
> deal with TPJ and TPR and YAPC and TPC and Perl Mongers.  I see the users
> of both -- and make no mistake, Perl 5 will retain a large user base for a
> long time, composed of people who have no intention of using Perl
> 6 -- only
> being harmed by significant fracturing of the "Perl community."

This is a similar problem to what Apache2 has had. Apache2 is definitely a
superior product, but is so different from 1 that the adoption rate has been
somewhat slow. What the Perl6 developers need to do is to make sure that the
migration is as simple as possible, with tools, tutorials and hand-holding.
Like any other new product, it has to be sold. Just remember, there are
still large numbers of entities still happily using Cobol (a legacy language
when I was a lad in the early 80s ;-).
Grant M.