At 8:54 PM +0000 3/17/03, Mikey Smelto wrote:
I don't know if I can agree with that statement. As I paraphrase an anonymous co-worker at an anonymous workplace.

"I stopped caring about perl 6 because I use a computer to accomplish tasks, not to accomplish using the computer."

Good grief, the amount of handwringing over the impending "Perl 6 Cataclysm" is pretty phenomenal.

For an awful lot of tasks, the only difference between perl 5 and perl 6 is you write:

@foo[12]

instead of

$foo[12]

and you may throw a

use re qw(perl5);

at the top of your program.

I mean, come *on* people, we're not stupid. Yeah, the wacky modules that intercept method dispatch to inspect the caller's context and do delegated multimethod dispatch quantumly across multiple threads simultaneously may change, but how many people write stuff like that? I sure don't.

The second biggest difference is you might write:

sub foo ($bar, $baz) { }

instead of

  sub foo {
    my ($bar, $baz) = @_;
  }

But it's not like *that* is a bad thing either.

perl 6 will be more complex than perl 5,
but I think the philosophy is still the same,
"perl is for getting your job done".
I don't think anything's getting added unless
it'll make it easier for someone to get their
job done.

--
                                        Dan