I would like to take this chance to also mention that Steve posted a similar discussion node on the Perl Monks website, and I mentioned this thread to TheDamian, and he asked that I post the link to that thread.

Thomas Stanley aka TStanley on PerlMonks

----- Original Message -----
From: Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 2:23 AM
To: Tolkin, Steve
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Boston.pm] Perl 6 has become too complex

Tolkin, Steve [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:
*>I think I am in the same camp as Chris Nandor and John Tobey.
*>They, and I, have just given up on Perl 6.
*>
*>But there is a problem in staying with Perl 5.
*>Due to Perl 6 the Perl 5 community is deprived of the
*>resources of several key people, e.g. Larry, and also "Good Damian".

My problem with perl6 is several more years of having to endure hearing
people grump about that which does not exist. I feel badly for those
several key people, as you call them, as it seems like freaks just can't
resist the urge to voice discontent. You are all like children who cry at
christmastime because santa brought something you didn't ask for.

*>The original design of perl was simple.
*>I learned Perl 4 from its man page -- yes there
*>was one long man page that completely described the entire language.
*>Apocalyse 6 included almost 30 pages discussing the new ==>
*>and <== operators!  This is not a good sign.

I don't think perl5 is going anywhere Steve, so get your pants out of a
twist. I have it on very good authority that p6 was the best thing that
ever happened to p5p as it drew the whiners and the talkers all over to
the p6 lists leaving the doers to get down to business. P6 may never come
to fruition but for that one particular benefit I am particularly
grateful as it made Jarkko's job much much easier.

I will suggest you read "The Power of Babel" as it's an excellent story on
the development of language which you may or may not appreciate in this
context.

e.