At 07:39 05-10-2002 -0400, Jon Gabriel wrote:

>>At 00:10 05-10-2002 -0500, The Fool foolishly blated:
>
>The word I believe you were looking for is 'blatted'?  It means either a
>loud noise or the noise a sheep makes, IIRC.  Been up since 2:30 -- too
>lazy to check the dictionary, but I'm nearly positive that 'blated' isn't
>an English word.

At
http://rhyme.lycos.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=blate&typeofrhyme=def&org1=syl&org2=l,
the verb "blate" is defined as "cry plaintively".

At http://www.hyperdic.net/dic/u/utter.shtml, "blate" is given as a synonym
for "utter".

At http://dictionary.metor.com/wnet/4585882.htm, "blate" is given as a
synonym for "bleat", which in turn means "cry plaintively".

At
http://www.stanford.edu/group/wais/mexico_virginofguadalupetwoversions121401.html,
it says:
"When I am accused of doing something "blatant", my reaction is to look up
the word. It was coined by Edmund Spencer, and comes from "to blate" (bellow)".

So, it looks like "blated" is an English word after all (the past tense for
"to blate").

Jeroen "And now, back to studying" van Baardwijk