Jon Gabriel wrote:

> Injured my back and the recliner in front of the computer is the most
> comfortable seat in the house. :-)  Note to other frozen Brinnellers: icy
> stairs plus smooth-soled dress shoes = splat.

What they tell you in one of the books about raising your toddler is to
scuff up the bottoms of the dress shoes with sandpaper before putting
them on the little darling's feet, to make them a little rougher so as
to reduce the risk of slippage.

I don't know how well it works in conjunction with ice, though.  My most
vivid memory of ice and dress shoes is from my senior year of high
school, when I had a presentation in one class, at the far end of the
main building, followed by a class at the other building, making it
necessary to either walk the length of the main building outside, or
walk it inside and try to get through the mass of other bodies trying to
get from point A to point B.  I tended to take the outside route, and as
I left the one class a bit later than usual, trying to contend with the
crowd was that much less attractive an option.  As I had dressed up, I
was wearing shoes with smooth soles, instead of one of my usual pairs of
rubber-soled shoes, and after almost falling rather badly, kicked off
the shoes, picked them up, and ran the length of the building over the
ice in nylon-covered feet.  (Nylons aren't too bad over ice, as long as
you're not doing it for long enough on cold enough ice to do any damage
to your feet.)

        Julia