--- Ronn! Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> If traction is the only concern (sheet ice, no
> standing water, deep snow,
> or active precipitation, and the temperature is not
> too cold for dress
> shoes), I've seen things that are advertised as the
> shoe version of tire
> chains:  the ones I saw looked kinda like the
> business end of a metal fish
> scaler with a length of elastic that would go around
> the shoe, leaving the
> metal teeth pointing down.  I suppose they would
> work on ice, unless the
> elastic allowed them to slip off the shoe while the
> teeth were embedded in the ice...

There are 'toothed' strap-ons, sort of like sharp
cleats, with Velcro tabs, to put on beneath your
regular shoes, and these will allow you to walk
*slowly* even on ice.  Once or twice it's snowed
enough here to use snowshoes in the 'burbs, but
usually that's more for the mountains.  And they need
to be used with true winter boots like Sorels.

GSV Mush!