> But isn't economic stress a major factor in abuse?  And wouldn't the
> poor be more susceptible to economic stress?

Intuitively, one would think so.  But, if it is a  factor, it is hard to
see.  The number 1 controlling factor that I know of is that children that
grow up in abusive homes tend to become abusers themselves.  Drug and
alcohol use are also a factor.  A change in one's ecconomic circunstance
can be a trigger, but the underlying pattern needs to be there. Pressure at
work can also be a factor.

The thing that shocked me more than anything is how prevalent it is.  When
I was growing up, I thought abuse, particularly sexual abuse, is rare.  But
its not.  Indeed, Teri's comment on how many priests are known as
pedophiles is that "they have only caught a small fraction of them" because
of the overall statistics, not because of any thought that priests are more
likely to abuse.

Dan M.
So what is the perceived percentage, of the general population?

Kevin T.

Kevin T.