I guess you didn't read the police report, in which the police officer wrote
that he or she asked them to "please cover or remove their shirts" and that
"if they complied with my request they will be allowed to stay in the mall
and continue to shop as long as they do not cause any more gatherings."
They "said no they were going to continue shopping.  I advised the Dows that
[the mall] is private property and they will be asked to leave."

And there's nothing in the "sworn statement" that says that the police or
security people observed them bothering shoppers.  That is entirely
second-hand.  And I'm quite sure, unless the police are incompetent, that
they would have included such observations in their report.

> I'm not predisposed to think that we're plunging
> into a police state.

Reductio ad absurdum.  Nobody is claiming that here.  It seems like we don't
even agree on what the basic issue is.  To me, it's not about the law of
trespass.  It is about our freedom to express ourselves without authorities,
in law enforcement or otherwise, on private or public property, using
pretenses to silence us.  And that's what I see here, a pretense of these
people causing a disturbance.

Without a doubt, there are some messages that incite disturbances and it is
proper for authorities to prevent opponents from interacting with each other
in a way that is likely to lead to violence or significant disturbances.
For some reason, the example that comes to mind was the presence of some
very vocal Edmonton Oilers fans at a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey game I went
to many years ago.  The Civic Arena's security people insisted that those
fans "keep it down," fearing violence.  At that time, the two teams were not
on good terms, not at all.  In fact, that very game set an NHL record for
game delays due to fighting.  By the end of the game, the ice had a lot of
big red splotches on it -- players' blood from the fights.

Where this kind of thing goes astray, IMO, is when the authorities choose
sides by blaming one or the other group for causing the trouble that arises
when people passionately disagree.  When did we forget how to disagree
respectfully?  I find it disrespectful, indeed, for the mall and police
authorities to insist that these guys remove their shirts.  But I'd have no
problem with them insisting that they not bother shoppers; a mall isn't an
appropriate venue for such debates, unless the mall itself is somehow
directly involved in the issue.  And even then, demonstrations belong on the
surrounding streets and sidewalks, the public spaces.

> It is not, in fact, okay to
> bother people on private property.  Jackasses will be
> jackasses,

Ad hominems have no place here.

Nick