----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: Lawyer Arrested for Wearing a 'Peace' T-Shirt

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Behalf Of Gautam Mukunda

> > Since any criticism of the antiwar movement is
> > inevitably and immediately called censorship, and we
> > have a sworn statement that they were doing more than
> > the protesters claim, more than we've got, actually.
> > All I've seen is the claim by the protesters that they
> > were asked to take off their shirts - since I give
> > them little or no credibility, that isn't going very
> > far.
>
> I guess you didn't read the police report, in which the police officer
wrote
> that he or she asked them to "please cover or remove their shirts" and
that
> "if they complied with my request they will be allowed to stay in the
mall
> and continue to shop as long as they do not cause any more gatherings."
> They "said no they were going to continue shopping.  I advised the Dows
that
> [the mall] is private property and they will be asked to leave."

Do you have a link on that?

> And there's nothing in the "sworn statement" that says that the police or
> security people observed them bothering shoppers.  That is entirely
> second-hand.  And I'm quite sure, unless the police are incompetent, that
> they would have included such observations in their report.

The other thing worth noting is that the language in the complaint stated
they were "stopping people."  There are non-harassing ways to stop people,
as well as harassing ways.

> > I'm not predisposed to think that we're plunging
> > into a police state.
>
> Reductio ad absurdum.  Nobody is claiming that here.

The reference to brownshirt alludes to that, I think.

I also agree that we need to work on having more civil disagreements.  I
think there was no comment on Gautam's examples because there was no one
who was interested in defending the behavior of the folks Gautam had issue
with.  It was wrong to do that, pure and simple.  That is another example
of people not being willing to put the effort into civility.

A school counselor who is so anti-military that she/he cannot empathize
with the children of soldiers should no more be in their job than a racist
who has the responsibility of counseling blacks.

Dan M.