> From: Reggie Bautista <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> The Fool wrote:
> >The article which I posted contained NO incorrect information.
>
> So your article on a study which says humans have little or no ability

Which is an abstract of an article by a respected scientist who is
published this very week in the _Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences_ on pheromones,

the story being picked up by discovery:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20030616/pheromone.html

newscientist:

sciencedaily:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030617080526.htm

and others:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/16/1055615730302.html
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/16/1055615730732.html
http://www.sciscoop.com/story/2003/6/17/51351/5858
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/06/17/pheromones030617

> detect pheromones is better than my article on a study which
contradicts
> that, because in your scientifically informed opinion, the results from
the
> study I quoted are a "statistical bump," even though they were not

That's the thing about science, it's falsifiable.  It's never a perfect
exact model of the world, it undergoes testing, refinement, more testing.
 Correlation is not causation.  It's very difficult to be sure that you
have identified all possible factors in a result, especially when that
result is as subjective as this one is.  There very well could have been
some unseen factors playing a part in this study.  That's why we do more
studies, more research.  Why we have peers do more studies to try and
isolate all possible factors through a series of refinement.

This very well could have been a statistical anomaly, or not.

It has been shown that some but not all women will have their menstrual
cycles converge when living together.  The key factor here is _not All_.
Therefore I am skeptical that all women would in fact respond in any way
to male sweat.

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v401/n6750
/abs/401232a0_fs.html&_UserReference=C0A804ED46524B0DB61EC6F039873EF3B427

Another thing to consider is the fact that no studies done have shown any
male response to pheromones whatsoever.  And the key thing about sexual
selection among humans is that human females compete to attract males.
But it has not been shown in any way that males respond to any pheromone
signal from females, they only respond to visual cues like the color of
hair, lips, eyes, skin, and shape of breasts, buttocks, etc.

The pheromonal system has very effectively been replaced by a very much
superior visual cue system.

"
To test their idea, Zhang's team zeroed in on a human gene called TRP2,
which makes an ion channel that is unique to the pheromone signaling
pathway. They found that in humans and Old World primates, this gene
suffered a mutation just over 23 million years ago that rendered it
dysfunctional. But because we could use color vision for mating, it
didn't hurt us. In turn, the pheromone receptor genes that rely on this
ion channel fell into disuse, and in a random fashion, mutated to a
dysfunctional state because they haven't experienced any pressure from
natural selection. Zhang calls this process "evolutionary deterioration."

"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030617080526.htm

"
The researchers traced a mutation in a gene called TRP2 that is needed
for the pheromone pathway. In humans, it appears TRP2 has so many errors
that it became inactive, or a so-called pseudogene.
It is also a pseudogene in Old World apes, such as the chimpanzee and
gorilla. In New World monkeys like the tamarin and squirrel monkey, TRP2
works.
"
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/06/17/pheromones030617

> considered a statistical bump by the editorial board of the journal in
which
> the study was published?

It is a study.  Probably a very good study.  Still.  It needs more
independent verification before anyone should consider it 'fact'.

much like this study:

"
Prof. Plomin and his colleagues were the first to identify a suspect. In
1998, they reported that one form of a gene called insulin-like growth
factor-2 receptor was present in 32 percent of children with high IQs,
but
in 16 percent of kids with average IQs. It was also especially frequent
in
people with exceptional math or verbal talents. Experiments in other labs

had shown the gene is active in regions of the brain devoted to learning
and memory. But when the King's team tried to replicate its finding, it
failed: The "smart" gene showed up in 19 percent of high-IQ children ...
and 24 percent of those with average IQ.
"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/06/20/fi
nancial0857EDT0029.DTL

> I'll trust the scientific opinion of the editorial board of the Journal
of
> Biology and Reproduction over your scientific opinion in this case.  I
think
> they've probably earned that trust more than you.

So be it.

> I have no interest in pursuing this discussion further.

Well you can attack scientists and the scientific method all you want.
It's a free country after all.  Most right wing religious nuts attack
science...