--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 02:23 PM 6/20/03 -0700, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> >--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s881312.htm
> > >
> > > Colour vision means pheromones unnecessary
> > > Tuesday, 17 June  2003
> > >
> > >  Female Old World primates ­ like orangutans ­ use sexual displays to
> > > indicate they are ready for mating
> > >
> > > Forget about using those expensive sprays to try and attract the
> opposite
> > > sex ­ humans don't have the ability to detect pheromones, and American
> > > research concludes it is due to our colour vision.
> > >
> > > The research, undertaken by Assistant Professor Jianzhi Zhang from the
> > > University of Michigan in the USA, involved a comparison of the genes
> of
> > > primates that can see colour and those that can't. It seems that males
> > > developing colour vision negated the need for pheromones to attract
> > > mates.
> > >

> >What complete crap for science, or logic for that matter. This is a
> reverse
> >implication. U of M and J. Zhang need to be more carfull before they
> release
> >suggestive information as if it were ~real~ science.
> >
> >Actualy in Zhang's defense, it might be Danny Kingsley & ABC Science which
> >are at fault here, but how can you tell?
> >
> >We do have strogn evidence that females synch due to pherimones.
> Anicdotaly
> >every mate of a cyclical female knows on what days he is most likely to
> get
> >some.
> >
> >How can you call an organ which does exist "vistigual" without showing why
> >you know it doesn't function. Especialy when there is so much anicdotal
> >evidecde to the contrary.
> >
> >Simply becouse one sense is more importatnt than other doesn't necisarily
> >mean that the other does not still play a part.
> >
> >for shame.
>

> My main thought when I read the article was that if human females _did_
> have an area of skin which changed color in order to signal to males that
> they were, ahem, "receptive", the fashion and cosmetics industries would
> have long since taken full advantage of the fact . . .

In fact they have, humans faces turn a bit pinkish or flushed when they are
interested in sex. If you make eye contact with a woman who finds you
atractive, and you allow her to see that you think as much, then you can bet
that your face has turned a bit pink.

If she like you back you might see her face and perhaps neck turn a bit
pinkish, but you don't usualy becouse they already have it painted that
color. I think they call it rughe. Like, it's all one bit rughe.

> (My secondary thought was that cats and dogs have at least bichromatic
> color vision, and they still rely heavily on their vomeronasal organs for
> both reproductive and territorial communication.)

they rely on the sent exclusivly for mating communication though.

=====