On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 07:41:01PM -0500, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

> I agree.  OTOH, if you are an 80-year-old woman with arthritis who has
> to shuffle around with a walker, you probably don't have the dexterity
> or strength to use a throwing knife, sword, or quarterstaff,

Probably cannot hold a gun steady and pull the trigger, either. And
if she has a walker, where will she put the gun while she "shuffles"
around?  Does she have a holster on her waist? Do you really think she
could draw the gun from the holster, hold it steady, aim, and pull the
trigger before the attacker gets her or ducks behind something?

I think she'd be better off with a dog (if she has a yard or could get
someone to walk it for her). Failing that, she probably has a better
chance just crying and saying "don't hurt me" and letting the intruder
take her stuff. I'd guess the chances of an intruder trying to hurt her
are less than the chances she'd get hurt if she tried to pull a gun on
the intruder.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/