On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:41:28 -0700, Miller, Jeffrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Doug Pensinger
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 09:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Pedro...

...sure doesn't look very impressive to me. His post season ERA has to be up around 5 somewhere, he's too whimpy to pitch on 3 days rest, and his sportsmanship is questionable to boot.

Post season isn't a large enough sample to be meaningful. That's like saying "Oh wow, this guy is a great hitter! he's 7 for 9 after the first 3 games of the year!"

Ahh, but this is the post season, not the beginning of the season. In order to be considered as a great pitcher, in my book anyway, you've got to step up when it's crunch time. In any case, I saw Pedro pitch 5 games in the last month or so including the last time he pitched against the A's in the regular season. Against the A's, one of the weakest hitting teams in the league, he gave up 11 or so runs in about 20 innings. In 7 innings last Saturday he gave up 4 runs, then five last night in 8. That's 20 runs in 35 innings for an ERA slightly over 5. 35 innings is close to 20% of the total innings he pitched in the regular season, so I'd say that that's a pretty good sample.

Whimpy to pitch? He lost it in the 8th, but he was cruising up to that point.

He pitched well last night for the first seven innings, and I did write the above prior to last night (it was one of the messages that seemingly got lost in the aether. But I was commenting on his inability to pitch on 3 days rest like so many of the other top notch pitchers have done this post season.

Sportsmanship? Protecting his arm from a crazed old man? ;)

Throwing at one guys head and threatening to do the same to another. And I don’t believe for a second that it was any kind of accident, or, as Guatam suggested, he was throwing to miss the head. He was throwing at a guy that had knocked in a run in his previous at bat. Throwing at someone’s head is _always_ poor sportsmanship in my book.

Points to Pedro for walking into Yankee Stadium and pitching 7 great innings.

I'll give him that and not much more.

--
Doug