----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: Explanation

> Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a rather interesting asymmetry.  People on the list who are
> > religious are expected to regularly read posts that proclaim them evil,
> > mentally defective, etc. and let the insults just slide off their backs.
>
> Who expects that?  Is that in the etiquette guidelines: religious people
> must let insults slide off their backs.  Has someone posted "Hey, you're
> religious, you have to let it slide off your back!!"  I  certainly have no
> such expectation.  Further, neither I, nor Sonja (the only two posts in
> this thread before yours) has ever proclaimed anyone evil (AFAIK) and I
> would rather not be lumped in with those who do, thanks.
>

> > People who are criticized by conservatives like JDG have the right to be
> > indignant.
>
> ???  John doesn't get indignant?  You must be kidding.
>

> > I have no trouble with anyone deciding to killfile someone, ignore their
> > posts, etc.  That's perfectly reasonable.  But, its funny that even the
> > religious people expect that they should take regular insults with good
> > grace, while less insulting things written by JDG are the grounds for
> > righteous indignation.
>
> This is one of the most ill considered posts I've ever seen you post,
> Dan.  I have no idea what religion or conservatism have to do with it.  I
> do know that JDG has referenced Hilter in _several_ posts - is there a
> greater insult than that?  Have I ever begun a post "Look, punk..."?

I think it should be pointed out that what John does, does not......can not,
be construed as justification for anything anyone else does.

I don't think Dan was in any way defending John. It appeared to me he was
commenting on *reactions* to John. Those are 2 quite different kinds of
statements.

I also think Doug is acting quite correctly when he attempts to separate
himself and Sonja from the crowd Dan was pointing out. I would certainly do
the same. But I am certain that Doug and Sonja were not the targets of Dan's
post.

xponent
Not At All Maru
rob