Damon Agretto wrote:

> Heh, again I would pick the Zentraedi Nupetiet-vernitz
> from Macross. The Heavy P-beam cannon would do the
> job. And if that didn't do it, then the hundreds
> (possibly thousands) of Regults and fighters will do
> it...
>
> Damon.

Hey!  I was going to mention SDF-1, or rather,
whatever SDF-1 was before it crashed on Earth
and started the Robotech series.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned the Death Star
(with the exhaust port designed and shielded
properly).

In all honesty, there's so much we don't know
about the conditions of space combat and the
capabilities of the opposing force that much
of this discussion is meaningless.  Also,
many of these comparisons are between universes
with different physics.

For example, Star Trek space combat (borrowing
from 19th cent. naval tradition) doesn't
involve small fighter craft at all, while
Star Wars space combat (borrowing from 20th
cent. naval tradition) is almost all about
fighter craft.  We don't know if shields
are even possible, what kinds of weapons
are available (and what speeds do they
travel at, by the way?).  What speeds the
ships are capable of, and so on.  For
all we know, the most effective weapon
could be the wake from a bussard ramship...

-- Matt