> Anyhow, I will now humbly wait for all of the Brin-L's resident liberals to
> point out that interrogtating a foreigner without a lawyer (if indeed that
> this story is true) does not constitute a "high crime and misdemeanor."

Don't ever travel in a foreign country in case you get on the wrong side of
someone official who decides to treat you like we treated this guy. (Heck, if
Ashcroft has his way much longer, don't travel in this country.)

It's not the "interrogating a foreigner without a lawyer" that's so
objectionable (even though many court cases say that foreigners arrested in this
country have some of the same rights as citizens and lawful residents; and, in any
case, foreigners arrested in this country are entitled by treaty to speak with
someone from their embassy or consulate; and we don't normally deport them to
a third country in order to be tortured - what part of "interrogating" is
that?). We don't arrest people in this country without probable cause. That
applies to foreigners, too.

Either there are rights for all, or there aren't really RIGHTS for anyone. To
let this continue risks them deciding to do it to anyone they want for any
reason - or none.

I am completely unable to understand why you dismiss this so cavalierly.

Tom Beck

www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle