----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Tarr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: Double Standards on Regional Bigotry

> He probably isn't racist. How nice of you to say that.
>
> And the next time you are at a function honoring someone 40 years older
> than you, make sure his past is clean so your general remark can't be
> turned into a proof that you are a racist or bigot or homophobe.

He made _specific_ remarks about the nation being better if Strom had won
the '48 election when he ran for president as the  "states rights" party
candidate.  He ran because the Democrats had planks in their platform that
called for civil rights for blacks.  He ran because of his strong belief in
segregation.

Are you actually suggesting that Trent didn't know about this when he
specifically remarked on this? General remarks about him being a wonderful
fellow, a good father, etc., I could take.  Talks about his leadership on
this bill or that, I wouldn't have taken as indicating anything.  But
direct praise for his running on a segregation platform? No.  It strains
credibility to think that Trent, who has been active in Mississippi
politics for over 30 years. knew nothing about the Dixiecrat party.

Dan M.

Dan M.

Dan M.