At 06:50 PM 1/14/2004 -0600 Robert Seeberger wrote:
>If one were to converse with working class people in the south, I
>think one would find that voting habits are not something that a lot
>of thought is given to, and that justifications for ones voting record
>are mostly fatuous rationalizations, even though they are sincerely
>believed.
>AFAIK, this is probably true everywhere (though the situational
>premises would be different).

Come on, why need to bring ignorance into the equation?

1) Voting tendencies among adults tend to be "sticky" over time.    Hence
the old phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."    Most people
don't change their political views later in life.

2) Voting tendencies are correlated with the voting tendencies of your
parents.    Children learn values from their parents, and these values
often translate into voting preferences.

3) People in the South are much more likely to be Evangelical Protestants
than people in the North.    Republicans agree with Evangelical Protestants
on a number of key issues, including Abortion, Legal Recognition of
Homosexuality,and the importance of promoting abstinence and marriage.

But of course, this being Brin-L, Republicans are guilty of race-mongering
that Democrats are very much above and beyond.

JDG - Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, Maru