On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 12:57:32PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 2/15/2004 10:43:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Why should we care about your vague feeling? What gives you the
> > right to take your vague feeling of uncomfortable that you can't
> > explain and impose it on someone else? What makes your vague feeling
> > more important than someone else's strong feeling that they can
> > explain? How in the hell is your vague feeling more important than
> > rational, logical arguments that others have made?
>
> This was an honest expression of concern and confusion that is shared
> by many. I suspect and hope that over time people will get used to the
> idea but for now it does not do the cause of gay union any good to
> sharply casitgate someone for honestly expressed feelings.

If my questions were "sharp castigation", then his statement was a lot
more than an "expression of concern". The implication in his statement
came through fairly strongly to several people, that it was okay for
a gay civil union, but if they call it marriage, then it makes him
uncomfortable, and by implication, then he is against it.  His gay
sister can do what she wants, but if she wants to talk about being
married to her loved one then it makes him uncomfortable.

If that wasn't what he meant, then he could have replied to my questions
and explained it wasn't what he meant. Instead, he replied to questions
with questions and says that we are putting words in his mouth and
having a knee-jerk reaction. Fine, he is entitled to his opinion, but I
am damn well going to reply sharply to people who make posts implying
that their unexplainable feeling of uncomfortable has any bearing on
what others should or should not be allowed to do.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/