At 08:23 PM 3/27/2004 -0600 Dan Minette wrote:
>3) If he is opposed to the Iraq war because he things it hurts the war on
>terrorism, then resigning about the time of the start of the Gulf war is
>consistent with that being the point where he ceased to think he can do
>more good from the inside...that the President's policy was wrong enough to
>quit over.

His resignation letter, however is inconsistent with this theory:
   http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20040323-111315-5436r.htm

This leader includes no mention of policy disagreements, and also the
following:

 It has been an enormous privilege to serve you these last 24 months," Mr.
Clarke wrote. "I will always remember the courage, determination, calm and
leadership you demonstrated on September 11 ... I will also have fond
memories of our briefings for you on cybersecurity and the intuitive
understanding of its importance that you showed."

JDG