----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Tarr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: Bush's brand new enemy is the truth

> What does this prove? That he made kissy sounds to the pres because he
> wanted a cushy lobbyist job; when that didn't happen he wrote a damning
> book that the lemony fresh media would lap right up?

Actually, he had very little time to get a job before he started writing
the book.  He and the president made kissy sounds towards each other at the
resignation.  Hearing them now discuss those kissy sounds as proof of some
bad intent is kinda is like listening to wrangling over old love letters
during a divorce.

I didn't see the 60 minutes show, and I'm not that interested in that kind
of interview.  I've read a fair amount on the net, and I was able to watch
the 911 commission's public hearing  while I worked at home. I watched for
the kind of statements made by the various representatives.  I paid
particular attention to the picture they painted of his work over the last
20 years.

> Not trying to argue too much about this. Just tired of the people going
> into masturbatory frenzy when they believe the TRVTH is finally revealed;
> that the veil will be ripped from the doubters eyes; that they were right
> all along!

Actually, I think that an understanding of what went on can be obtained by
listening to what everyone is and is not saying.  I certainly would not
hang my hat on Clarke telling things exactly perfectly right.  For example,
my gut feel  is that his criticism of the Patriot act would be that it was
too namby-pamby.  I'm pretty sure that the nation would not have supported
either Clinton or Bush in invading Afghanistan.

But, at the same time, I do give weight to the concept that anti-terrorism
had higher visibility in the Clinton administration; and was just part of
an overall vision with Bush.  Bush had his national security priorities
going into office, and he pushed missile defense as a high priority.  The
FBI's focus on terrorism was decreased; drugs were considered more
important.  Indeed, a Bush official made a public statement supporting the
Taliban while they were destroying ancient art. I remember bringing it up
on list at the time.

So, I see things as sort of a mixed bag.  Was Bush guilty of gross
negligence?  I see nothing at all that would indicate that.  Did Bush make
some priority decisions that, in hindsight, were not ideal?  I'd say
probably.  Is Clarke's testimony before the 9-11 panel that Clinton paid
more attention to terrorism than Bush an honestly help viewpoint?  I think
so.  Does this prove that Clinton was better than Bush on terrorism?  No.

Was the difference between a vague plan to eliminate Al Quida and an
equally vague plan to reduce them to insignificance really important?  I'd
say no.

Finally, if you look at my initial remarks on Clarke, I tried to make them
measured. For example, when I talk about an honestly held viewpoint, I'm
not saying the person is necessarily right, just sincere.

Dan M.