> Maybe they want to terraform the Earth-like planets
> so they can
> live there. Maybe the planets they've been living on
> are in the
> same solar systems as the human colonies, and
> they're too
> territorial to allow human colonies in solar systems
> they
> already claim. In either case, why wouldn't they
> just bomb the
> colonists from orbit, instead of wasting their
> ground troops?
> Ship-to-ship fighting and dogfights would make sense
> in that
> scenario, as humans fight to keep alien bombers or
> terraforming
> machines from their colonies, but I can't think of a
> good reason
> for ground fighting.

While the bombig from orbit point is a good one, the
thing that immediately jumps to my mind is that these
locations have some sort of strategic importance, and
bases, supply dumps, forward listening posts, etc. And
they may have felt threatened when another intelligent
species parks right in their back yard. So while they
may not neccessarily need or want to terraform
(alienform?) the planets to their purposes, they may
have wartime value beyond that. Thus, ground troops in
spacesuits to provide ground security.

Damon.

=====
Damon Agretto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
http://www.geocities.com/garrand.geo/index.html
Now Building: