Mike Lee wrote:

> Julia, the voice of bloody reason:
>
> > It occurred to me that perhaps the thing to do is to identify
> > all the people who participated in the torture-for-amusement,
> > and turn them over to the Iraqi people.
> >
> > Some sort of justice (or at least poetic justice) would be
> > served, and it would be a hell of a deterrent against anyone
> > else doing anything remotely like it for a good, long time.
>
> You sound like one of the Iraqi people. The more bloody-minded, primitive
> honor-killing sort.
>
> You want to lob a rock at Lynndie from West Virginnie? Cast the first stone
> or shut up.

I wasn't harmed in the way the prisoners were harmed.  I don't think
justice would be served by my stoning someone, but perhaps letting the
people who were harmed do the stoning would.  Of course, that's
incredibly Not Charitable.

Yes, it's horrible.  Horrible things cross my mind at times.  I censor
them frequently.  This time I didn't.

What I really want is for it not to happen again, and it occurred to me
that that might be a deterrent.  Of course, the death penalty seems not
to be a deterrent in a number of crimes, so there's a decent chance it
wouldn't work.

Your suggestion of hard prison time made in another post is probably the
best solution.  Leavenworth?

        Julia