----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"

> >From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"
> >Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:40:27 -0500
> >

> >I think most of us have seen evidence of altruism, or felt a love
so
> >pure that its memory is painful. (I think what is painful is that
one
> >is not feeling with such blinding intensity *now*)
>
> "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited
love."

> --Charles M. Schulz-- (Charlie Brown/Peanuts)
>
> >These are examples of things that most would consider to be *very*
> >good.
>
> The key word there is *most*. So it's all relative right?

I think that what you are grasping for is that it is not "relative"
but that it is "subjective". Everything is relative to everything else
whether it is obvious or if the relation subtley disguised.

But this kind of subjective truth, like the stopped clock that is
correct twice a day, can often be close to objective truths.

One of "Robs Rules For Self-Aware Entities©" states that it is always
wrong (read that as evil) to kill without reason.
This applies to strong relations such as murder, and it applies to
subtle relations such as not wasting food so as not to waste the death
of a living thing. Life should be preserved if at all possible.
And of course it is reasonable to rid ones body or immediate
enviroment of parasites or to kill a being that is attempting to take
your life.

Truth is, most of the argument leading up to the Iraq war was over how
this rule should be applied to that particular situation.

> >But that kind of *very* good, does not exist without its polar
> >opposite.
> >Life contains these kinds of symettries, and I suspect that this is
> >not limited to human life.
>
> I don't agree. As far as I'm concerned, what you speak of above is
nothing
> more than a product of one's mind. Of course, so are my thoughts on
> this...<grin>

Imagine a universe that is nothing more than a scum pond. And imagine
that there is plenty of life, but only two self aware entities, and
for them the scum pond is Edenlike, with an abundance of food and
energy. One of these entities writes in his journal "And then the
other like me committed the greatest evil imaginable, it ate the food
particle *I* wanted".

Good and evil are indeed the products of self-awareness. I've been
saying this all along. But there there is an objective measure of good
and evil in that it is a product of conciousness, it is self-evident
and consensual, and it is a natural filter through which the universe
is viewed.

> >The Devil "is" us, but then so is God.
> >

> It is entirely possible that God and his Devil do indeed exist.

At the least as some sort of natural metaphor.

xponent
The Order Of The Universe Maru
rob