----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: Request for Proposals

> Erik said:
>
> > You obviously don't understand quantum mechanics.
>
> Well, I understand quantum mechanics and if "predictable" is a necessary
> condition for something to be considered "logical" then the universe
> isn't logical.

I agree with that if-then statement, but I'm guessing "logical" means "able
to be modeled in some form of logic calculus (paraphrasing Weinburgs
regrets about ethics not being reducible to this.)  For the most part,
we've done a very good job describing phenomonon this way.

In that sense, human behavior is not logical in that basic goals cannot be
deduced through the use of these techniques (as Weinberg pointed out).
But, logic can be used in determining what means are useful in reaching
those goals.  IMHO, the basic goals are more alogical than illogical.

One other note,  I wonder if Andrew has figured out that he led with his
chin by sarcastically asking about Erik's knowledge of QM.  Before I do
something like that, I usually will be willing to at least check the
website given in the email I'm responding to, to determine my opponents
education and job.

Dan M.

Dan M.