From: Erik Reuter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:49:19AM +1000, Andrew Paul wrote:

>> Firstly you are suggesting that logical thought applies in these
>> situations.

>That is because logical thought applies to reality. I'm not suggesting
>it applies to all Iranians, obviously, or to you, equally obviously.

No, logic is totally and completely divorced from reality, thats my point. People
don't behave logically, if they did, then we wouldnt be having half as much trouble,
or half as much fun, as we are. We like to think we make logical decisions, and I am
sure we all try to be logical about things, but we don't live in a logical world. So
if you run your life on logic, then you live in some world I have never visited, and
probably involves rubber walls and very few sharp objects. I have no objection to you
saying I am illogical, cos its like saying I breathe. I, like every other human I have
ever met, is inherently illogical, cos otherwise we would be dead, or at least, very,
very boring.

>> But regardless of that, you equate sane to logical, w

>Nope

So you agree then, being logical does not equate to being sane? Or vice-versa.

>> Secondly, your attitude to the leaders of Iran is exactly the reason
>> why they probably feel the need for nuclear weapons. You are implying
>> that the only sane Iranians want a stable democratic government.

>Nope

OK, It read that way, but if you say nope, then nope it is. But you did admit contempt
for the Iranian government didn't you, which was the point I was getting at.

>> Cant we accord them the right to choose their own government?

>Nope

So we cant let them choose their own government? And you wonder why they might want
nuclear weapons?

Andrew