On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:20:46 -0230, Nick Lidster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

I found still online at CSIS the Military Balance in the Gulf which
was produced about a year before my other source, which was another
report by Anthony H. Cordesman.

Iran's Total Operational Combat Aircraft, all types and quality  - 304.

It has Iran's High and Medium Quality of air strike craft as:

Mig-29...............35
SU-24D.............30
F-14...................60
F-4E...................50

His year later report is:

Mig-29......25
SU-25.........7
SU-24D....30
F-14..........25
F-4E..........66

I won't  bother listing the lower quality stuff which he also doesn't
bother with in the Military Balance report.

I have previously stated my opinion is that he overestimates the
combat ready quantities of the American planes, in this case the F-14s
and F-4Es.  The spare parts source for these planes are their other
planes. Later he states  that Iran "has acknowledged a need for
Western military equipment and spare parts."  He may be correct, we
sold Iran a hulluva lot of planes they can use as spare parts to keep
some flying.

http://www.csis.org/burke/gulf/milbalingulf.pdf

Iran is one of the countries used to justify deployment of the ABM SDI
with some analysts believing iran could deploy an ICBM before 2015.

Gary Denton

#1 on google for liberal news