----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: Social Security

> * Dan Minette ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > As I go through it, whenever I see something relevant to our
discussion,
> > > I will post it, in case you are working on it also.
> >
> > I probably will be, and I'll do the same.
>
> Here is another paper of theirs that I am reading. It gives a lot of
> details about their methodology:
>
> http://econ.bu.edu/kotlikoff/Worktax11-25-02.pdf

It's an interesting article, and worth rereading.  My first pass did give
me a much better feel for their methodology. Given all that they include,
apparently including variation in college grants with family income in the
marginal net tax calculation, I'm a bit surprised but not shocked to see
marginal net tax rates in the low 50s.  But that still is quite different
from the tax rates that the website quotes in the '80s....including the
average lifetime net tax rate  for all workers born after '93, that was
given at the first web subsite I mentioned.

I'm going to walk through the article again, but those are my first pass
impressions.

Also, the web site:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/histinc/rdi8.html

gives a lot of information that I think could be used to break down average
dR/dE between the quintiles....without calculating long time benefits.
These numbers should be an upper bound on the numbers we would get after
including the effects of future SS benefits.

Dan M.