----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: Technique

> I think that, in order to make a good comparison, one would have to make
> reasonable assessment of the internal risks to the US in each of these
> instances (for example, I think the internal risks faced by Lincoln far
> outweighed all the others put together).  Given such a calibration, we
can
> then turn to historians understanding of the Constitutional views of
these
> various presidents.

I was going to make one more point here.  From what I read here, there
seems to be a viewpoint that the risk posed by terrorist operating inside
the US as well as the risk posed by "rouge nations" is not at all as
serious as is portrayed.  The US has little to fear from external enemies,
the real enemies of our liberty are internal...and mostly in the Bush
administration. Further, what risks do exist can best be adressed by better
US behavior.

Is that an accurate read of one of the assumptions.  I'd kinda guess that
others I've debated with see things this way, but I'm not sure about you,
Doug.

Dan M.