On Mar 22, 2006, at 4:07 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

My backup HD seems to be corrupted under "game mode" [Windows XP],
giving an error message [in Portuguese] that probably translates
to:

  Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

It's a MAXTOR, and it is functional in Linux. I _may_ have hit
the computer the last time I switched to "game mode", prior
to the error.

I think that this _may_ have contributed to your problem. It's never a
good idea to use violence to solve computer problems. They have *really*
good self-defense mechanisms:

First, they're often made of metal with sharp corners, which can cut or
bruise mushy human beings.

Second, they are prone to break in unfortunate ways as a result of
having been hit, leading the human to come whining to his useless
on-line friends about how he broke his computer.

I'd love to help, but my Powerbook just runs and runs and runs, at
least in part because I treat it like a sharp-cornered metal
easily-broken thing.

Dave