On 27/07/2006, at 7:05 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

I also think that the idea that many people have views somewhere between the "pro-choice" set of axioms and the "pro-life" set of axioms is fairly valid. The debate I've seen doesn't reflect this. Most of it is between people who know their axioms are correct, and thus see how unreasonable the others are.
Indeed, I find the type of discussions we've seen in this thread
rare....most people I've come in contact with don't want to examine their
views.

Many people refuse to examine their views, but they're worried that any ground they give will be swarmed over by the other side. That's what I was saying about the debate being *so* polarised.

It would be easy for me to parody the "pro-life" position, by saying that they act as if the right to life begins at conception and ends at birth...

But I won't. ;-)

Charlie