----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryon Daly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: Fake Sci-Fi Heroics 1979-1980

> On 4/28/07, Robert G. Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> This is an amazing story and is purportedly true. I've seen some
>> corroborating evidence that supports the story from other sources.
>

> Amazing story.  Definitely seems true, because a quick google search
> turned
> up this:
>
> https://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/winter99-00/art1.html
>
> This is a CIA historical study, written by Mendez himself.  It's
> very
> readable and it adds a lot of details not covered in the Wired
> article.  One
> fun tidbit: "An ironic coda: by the time Studio Six folded several
> weeks
> after the rescue, we had received 26 scripts, including some
> potential
> moneymakers. One was from Steven Spielberg."

I suppose I am in a strange mood this morning, but something occurs to
me.
If we accept this story as factual, not only in the general sense, but
in it's particulars; then I believe it has to effect the way we filter
conspiracy theories.

This story is pretty far out there. (he he, he he, he he, he said far
out)
And it remained, not secret, but under the radar for over 25 years.
Both of those facts are worthy of remark.

To be fair, I don't think it effects the arguments against 911
conspiracies to any great degree, but I do think the current
controversy over the firings of US Attorneys and similar controversies
that seed conspiracy theories *can* be effected by such revelations. A
lot of Time/Money/Manpower went into pulling off this scam and making
it successful, not to mention keeping it quiet until the greater
series of events (The Hostage Crisis) was resolved.

I imagine that the question of how many of such operations are pulled
off successfully and without drawing public scrutiny occur, as
compared to those that fail and/or are leaked publicly before
completion, is a variable that must be posited.

But overall, this story changes my perception of the potential success
rate of conspiracies and the ability to keep them out of the public
consciousness for long periods.

xponent
Sekrits 101 Maru
rob