On 4/29/07, Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> But overall, this story changes my perception of the potential success
> rate of conspiracies and the ability to keep them out of the public
> consciousness for long periods.

Not for me.  Per the Mendez version, the press were already hot on the trail
of the existence of the 6 free in Iran.   It took a promise of an
post-rescue exclusive to a reporter to hold things back.  And after the
rescue, Canada's large role was immediately and widely acclaimed.  So the
who (the Canadians and the 6 trapped Americans), the what (the americnas
exfiltrated under the noses of the Iranians with enormous Canadian help),
and a significant part of the how (Canadians provided authentic passports to
help them walk past security).

What's left makes for a very interesting story and perhaps a made for TV
movie, but is hardly a conspiracy-class secret.   Aside from someone wanting
to cash in on the story in some minor way, I don't see much motivation for
people to spill the beans.  Compare that to a 9-11 class conspiracy theory,
in which people theoretically betrayed their own country and people, and
where coming out with "the truth" in a credible way could literally topple
the highest reaches of the goverment.  All it would take is one guilty
conscience, belated bout of patriotism, or disgruntled insider looking to
make amends, become famous, or get revenge to blow it open.