This is a popular myth, but I've seen the reconstructed plane on TV reports
a number of years ago and it looked rather substantial.  An analysis is
available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

<quote>
Eventually, more than 95% of the airplane wreckage was recovered.[6] As the
wreckage recovery progressed, three main debris fields emerged. The yellow
zone, red zone, and green zone contained wreckage from front, center and
rear sections of the airplane, respectively.[6] The green zone with the aft
portion of the aircraft was located the furthest along the flight
path.[6].............. Factors such as witness reports of a streak of light
and then a fireball, as well radar data recorded by a radar site at Islip,
New York,[6] led the NTSB to consider the possibility that a bomb exploded
inside the airplane or that a shoulder-launched missile exploded upon impact
with the airplane.[6] Testing conducted by the FBI found trace amounts of
explosives on three seperate pieces (described as a piece of canvaslike
material and two pieces of a floor panel).[6] However no damage
characteristics typically associated with a high-energy explosion of a bomb
of missile warhead (such as severe pitting, cratering, petalling, or hot gas
washing) were found on the recovered wreckage, including the pieces which
tested positive for explosives.[6] Of the 5 percent of the fuselage that was
not recovered, none of the missing areas was large enough to have
encompassed all the damage that would have been caused by the detonation of
a bomb or missile.[6] In addition, none of the victim's remains showed
evidence of injuries that could have been caused by high-energy
explosives.[6]
<end quote>

So, there was really a fair amount of data to base the conclusion on.

Dan M.