From: Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

] This story is pretty far out there. (he he, he he, he he, he said far
] out)
] And it remained, not secret, but under the radar for over 25 years.
] Both of those facts are worthy of remark.
]
] To be fair, I don't think it effects the arguments against 911
] conspiracies to any great degree, but I do think the current
] controversy over the firings of US Attorneys and similar controversies
] that seed conspiracy theories *can* be effected by such revelations. A
] lot of Time/Money/Manpower went into pulling off this scam and making
] it successful, not to mention keeping it quiet until the greater
] series of events (The Hostage Crisis) was resolved.
]
] I imagine that the question of how many of such operations are pulled
] off successfully and without drawing public scrutiny occur, as
] compared to those that fail and/or are leaked publicly before
] completion, is a variable that must be posited.
]
] But overall, this story changes my perception of the potential success
] rate of conspiracies and the ability to keep them out of the public
] consciousness for long periods.

This was a conspiracy that was active for a short time (not years or decades)
and had a small number of people who even knew about it.  It had a
publicly visible component that could explain unusual behavior.  Once it was
finished, the number of people "in the know" remained small, and they had
rules in place about when to reveal their secret (no need to get in trouble by
talking now if you know it will be OK to talk in 30 years...)

Many of the "grand conspiracy" theories lack these kind of details that
would help them stay quiet.

-- Matt