At 10:21 AM Wednesday 5/23/2007, Dan Minette wrote:

> [...]

I have heard in recent months on other lists reports of children
(sometimes grandchildren or nieces/nephews, etc., of listmembers) who
were born with multiple problems which required the baby to stay in
the hospital for months after birth during which they had to undergo
multiple expensive medical procedures of various sorts and in many
cases will require extensive care once they are released from the
hospital and will have to go back to the hospital several times for
more procedures and/or care for unexpected crises caused by the
problems they were born with.  In some cases, such special care and
repeated hospitalizations will have to continue for the rest of their
lives (which in some cases will be cut short while in other cases
they may live well into adulthood or even a full, normal life-span
but will never be able to become a contributing member of society and
in particular will always be a net economic drain).  Even if the
necessary care only lasts a few months (a year or less, maybe) and
afterward the child is able to live an entirely or mostly normal life
and grow up to become a contributing member of society, the costs for
the care required during that first year or so may easily run into
the hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe even top a million
dollars in some cases, particularly when the problems are due to
multiple births and each of the n-uplets requires such care because
they were all born with low birth weight).  Such care is certainly in
the BMW (or perhaps Ferrrari or Lamborgni) price range, but what
should "we" (as a nation, a government, a health-care system, etc.)
do about it?  Let us presume as was the case in the cases I have
heard of on other lists that the families are ordinary middle-class
working people who when it comes to cars typically look for a
late-model used Chevy rather than a new car of any type and certainly
never imagine themselves owning a BMW (except perhaps in their
daydreams when they win the Powerball lottery) and that no one can be
considered "at fault" for the problems that the child was born
with:  the parents were as far as anyone knew or could tell healthy,
did not smoke, drink alcohol, use drugs, work in a factory or other
environment where they were exposed to toxic chemicals or use such at
home or in some second job or hobby, did not engage in any other
risky behaviors, did not have any known genetic defects, had early
and regular pre-natal care (during which we presume nothing amiss was
detected, or at least not until it was too late medically or legally
to do anything about it), nothing untoward happened during labor and
delivery, etc.

How should such cases be addressed by the US health care system?

-- Ronn!  :)