I'm not sure what you are getting at. With basic Medicare, one can chose any
physician or hospital that takes Medicare (the overwhelming majority do).
My mom can has her choice of many different physicians on Medicare. Are you
talking about the co-pay (about $15.00 for an office visit), difficulties in
getting to the physician or what?

>and getting a prescription can be difficult for many drugs in the first
>place.

Well, it's true that some of the newest, most expensive drugs are not on the
formulary, but I haven't heard a lot a squawk from the AARP (American
Association of Retired People): the strongest lobby group in the US (by
far).  And, I haven't heard of any real restrictions on med from either my
mom, or my sister (who's a geriatric nurse).

Are you talking about differences in requirements for FDA vs. UK approval of
drugs?  I know the FDA is rather conservative that way...and that is a topic
that can be discussed....but it's a tradeoff situation I think.

If so, could you gave an estimate of the impact of quick approval of these
drugs?  If not, could you give examples of approved drugs that are widely
prescribed and paid for under British National Health, but not on the
Medicare formulary?

Dan M.