On Sep 17, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Dan Minettte wrote:

>>> Oddly enough, I think that replying to an onlist post offlist is
>>> pretty poor netiquette. If you wish to berate someone for their
>>> behaviour onlist, do it onlist or not at all. It's called
>>> transparency, and I'd have thought that people on this particular
>>> list would at least get that.
>>
>> Thanks, Charlie. I've been on lists where taking gripes offline
>> was the practice to save the list from flamewars, and exposing
>> a private message to the list was verboten.
>
> Like lists that have
>
> Personal attacks, whether direct or indirect are not welcome. These
> should be handled off list, and if you disagree with some
> controversial point, direct the attack at the argument, not the
> person.
>
> http://www.mccmedia.com/brin-l/etiquette.htm
>
> in the guidelines? :-)

Yes, and no. There's nothing in the guidelines that says either:

A) Please do not respond off-list to comments made on-list except when
    handling a personal attack.

B) Please do not post emails received off-list to the list without the
    permission of the author.

Martin and I each crossed one of those lines in this exchange. I'll
keep my conversations on-list in the future, and I trust my list-
mates to keep my private messages private.

I'd be happy to see those added to the netiquette guidelines, if others
concur. Perhaps a small section on "taking conversations off-list"?

Dave

PS: Did you mean for the paragraph "Like lists that have" to be so
short?I think I recall having seen paragraphs in your emails in the
past that trailed off like that. I don't want to have missed anything
of value you may have meant to say :-).