Yes, and no. There's nothing in the guidelines that says either:

A) Please do not respond off-list to comments made on-list except when
    handling a personal attack.

B) Please do not post emails received off-list to the list without the
    permission of the author.

Martin and I each crossed one of those lines in this exchange. I'll
keep my conversations on-list in the future, and I trust my list-
mates to keep my private messages private.

I'd be happy to see those added to the netiquette guidelines, if others
concur. Perhaps a small section on "taking conversations off-list"?

Dave

PS: Did you mean for the paragraph "Like lists that have" to be so
short?I think I recall having seen paragraphs in your emails in the
past that trailed off like that. I don't want to have missed anything
of value you may have meant to say :-).

  i agree, dave. however, i once responded to someone off line, but
  only because my reply was not relevant to the topic.  the response,
  in effect, was anything i had to say could be posted online.
  jon m.