On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Charlie Bell<char...@culturelist.org> wrote:

> On 09/07/2009, at 1:35 PM, John Williams wrote:
>> My impression is that the "Chrome OS" will allow you to avoid just
>> what you say above. It is an actual OS, although probably "OS lite"
>> would be a better term.
>
> ...and Google already have one. It's called Android, plus there's gOS which
> Google had hefty input into. And there are miriad other Linuces and BSDs to
> try, up to and including Darwin/OSX. So I'm with Will (you can pick
> yourselves up at your leisure). Don't see the point of Chrome, except to
> leverage Google's brand and no doubt increase the amount of data they have
> to analyse on the way we use PCs...

Isn't Android build for mobile phones?  And gOS is pretty limited,
from what I understand.  As for the point of Chrome OS, maybe Google
won't overtake any of the existing major OSes overnight, but then
Honda didn't become a major car manufacturer overnight when it decided
it wanted to make more than motorcycles.

--
Mauro Diotallevi
"The number you have dialed is imaginary.  Please rotate your phone 90