_____

From: brin-l-boun...@mccmedia.com [mailto:brin-l-boun...@mccmedia.com] On
Behalf Of Doug Pensinger
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 10:38 PM
To: Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion
Subject: Re: Google Operating System

Julia wrote:

Reply:

I get no more than 1 in 500 false positives.

I get no more than 1 in 1000 false negatives.

It was more than that early on in my use of Gmail, I got one account in
2004, IIRC, and another in 2007.  The more recent one, most of the false
positives were from one mailing list which is now defunct (as it has been
replaced with a system that works better for most of the people involved
than that mailing list ever did).

Hi Julia, good to hear from you.

Do you use labels (filters) extensively?  I've got about 13 labels some of
which use a dozen or more filters.  I skip the in box on labeled mail.

Reply:

I use labels & filters extensively; there's two things at the moment, I
think, that I ought to create filters/labels for but haven't gotten around
to yet.  :)  (When I stopped being able to access 3jane.net, I switched a
bunch of Yahoo subscriptions over to Gmail, and at least one of the
relatively low-traffic lists isn't labeled/filtered yet, and I don't know if
that list is going to exist in 3 weeks, even, so I'm not bothering at the
moment.)

I keep stuff in the inbox until I've read it, then archive.

I've had problems on 1 list with the spam filter grabbing about 1 out of
every 2000 messages and throwing it into the spambox.  (I *think* that's
about right -- Bruce, this is -chat, and it happens once every other month
or so.  Am I lowballing the number of messages the 1 is coming out of too
badly?)

    Julia