On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 8:56 PM, David Hobby<hob...@newpaltz.edu> wrote:

>(Anyway, aren't charitable
> contributions tax-deductible?)

You do realize that tax-deductible means that your taxes are reduced
by some fraction of the amount you donate, not the whole amount? Less
than half, in fact.

> For all I know, you could actually be spending all your
> money on things that hurt the common good.  So the above
> is not a very convincing argument.

There are also people who cheat on their taxes. And those who commit
fraud to get government money that they are not legally entitled to. I
do not assume that your views are invalid because you might possibly
be one of those people.

> I think we both want things to be "fair" as we perceive
> it.  You're worried about your money being spent on
> people who don't deserve it.  I'm not that concerned
> about that, and am prepared to accept a bit of waste.

But apparently you are also prepared to accept waste of other people's
money. How is it fair for you to waste other people's money?