----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: Brin: the new Bush ad : I don't see any morphing...

I used the same set of criterion I use for interepreting Trent Lott's or
David Duke's words.  In many ways, I am using the same historical/literary
critical methods that I always use to parse meaning out of the writen word.

> But I also agree with your wife (hope she is doing well!) that Moore
> is not explicitly calling for American deaths, but is most likely
> playing the role of doomsayer. (And that is what I got out of that
> portion of your post)

Well, she and I both got the real OT prophet stuff out of it; not just a
generic doomsayer.

> As a note, I don't think that the mere mention of God neccesitates the
> invoking of blood payment for sin, but is just as likely the hope of
> forgiveness for making a mistake.

It wasn't just the mention of God.  That alone would not have been enough.
And, BTW, by definition, only sins require God's forgiveness.  We know that
Moore has stated that the only reason for the war was theft.  Supporting
such a war is evil.  The idea of simply predicting a bad outcome ignores
the meaning of the words used.

It may be possible that he wrote something stronger than he meant.  But, in
order for that to be shown, I think one must.

1) Show that Moore thinks the Iraq war is simply a mistake, not morally
wrong on principal. (Other writing could certainly be referenced.

2) Explain why mistakes need to be forgiven by God...can we go to hell for
typo's?

3) Explain how blood spilt will earn forgiveness for making a mistake?

All of these are easily explained by the idea of blood payment needed to
atone for evil done.  That is why I chose it; it is the meaning that best
explains the use of the words.

Dan M.