On 9/18/06, nate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, you're right: the usual, dumb, wasteful approach to coding is that
> you have to explicitly specify every little thing you want your program
> to do.
>
> If that's how you want to write your code, you should not, I repeat
> *not* use CakePHP.  CakePHP does things like automatically generate DOM
> ID's for form inputs, because 99.9% of the time, that's exactly what I
> want it to do, so I'd rather it just do it, as opposed to me having to
> tell it to do it.
>
> That's called "convention over configuration".  If you *do not* want it
> to follow this default behavior (a.k.a. "convention"), you can
> *explicitly specify* something else.  Like, for example, a custom DOM
> ID.

During my presentation on Thursday at php|works I talked about
convention over configuration and I fielded a lot of questions from
people about why convention over configuration is good, and the
opinion of a lot of developers seemed to be, well, they wanted to
waste lots of time configuring everything and couldn't understand how
Cake (or Rails for that matter) would be any good if there weren't all
sorts of configuration files to tweak.

/me throws his hands up in the air

Me, I'm lazy and would rather have people smarter than me come up with
solutions that I can work with so I can get back to my life.

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard