[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> and what's wrong with just not outputting an id attribute unless
> specified?
> (like is the usual approach for attributes, you have to specify them if
> you want them)

Yes, you're right: the usual, dumb, wasteful approach to coding is that
you have to explicitly specify every little thing you want your program
to do.

If that's how you want to write your code, you should not, I repeat
*not* use CakePHP.  CakePHP does things like automatically generate DOM
ID's for form inputs, because 99.9% of the time, that's exactly what I
want it to do, so I'd rather it just do it, as opposed to me having to
tell it to do it.

That's called "convention over configuration".  If you *do not* want it
to follow this default behavior (a.k.a. "convention"), you can
*explicitly specify* something else.  Like, for example, a custom DOM
ID.