I think the point he was originally trying to make was that developing a
"killer-app" will garner more interest in CakePHP. Using Wordpress again
as an example, the first time I used it I was impressed. But me being a
developer wasn't interested in it in much the same way that most end
users would be. I wasn't inspired to go create my own blog (I'm too lazy
to keep it up-to-date anyway). One of the first things I did was to see
how it was engineered. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of you have done
the same thing with Wordpress or other "inspiring" applications. Imagine
that you'd never heard about CakePHP nor Wordpress. Even as a developer
which one do you think would have come to your attention first?
Wordpress I presume! Then in seeing Wordpress' entrails you would
discover the tasty morsel that is CakePHP. I agree with the original
poster in that a "Killer-app" would generate more interest in CakePHP.

However, I don't see why CakePHP's core developers should  be part of
such a project. In fact I'd rather have them locked up in an isolated
tech haven working solely on CakePHP. I'd have grossly sex-starved
models "feeding" them at predefined intervals to keep their strength up
and violent S&M practitioners to punish them if they digress from the
work at hand. Ok maybe I'm taking this....

Anyway, that's my 3 cents

Felix