On Mar 29, 3:44 pm, "Loren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know the people who developed this framework make me look like a
> bonafide stooge. But all that coding savvy is going to waste if this
> spiffy framework remains an inscrutable tangle of half-baked
> documentation and shallow tutorials. Documentation is no fun (I hate
> writing it, we all hate writing it), but I believe it is KEY to the
> widespread adoption of CakePHP.
>
> Loren

Ok... we're really getting away from the main thread here... but
somehow I can't help it thinking that in the end... we're pushing that
"killer app" idea somewhere. All this to say that...

Loren has a good point. I got around CakePHP pretty quick because I
had a strong IT background helping. Plus I will spend 2 days without
sleep digging when there's interest. And then I was comfortable with
the code (or php), comfortable with the pattern (MVC) and comfortable
with the platform (web). I think my learning curve was pretty flat!
Then I use to hangout in the IRC channel trying to do my bit and got
quickly sick of it because of questions like "what if I want to remove
the cake logo".

As Tane was saying from a different angle, we need to make sure
documentation is kept and standards are followed religiously. I must
admit the cake code is awesome! I'm a fair bit of a purist and I
literally felt in love with it. The code is nice to a point that it
could even be harmful for the project itself! Contributing back is not
simple; suggestions are vetoe'ed without any further discussions,
enhancement are left to die in trac, which btw is filled with users
who raise a critical bug for the current stable version because some
function doesn't do what THEY want, not realising they're not calling
it properly.
... my point is, the code is very good, fairly documented, but kept on
such a tight lead that is sometimes pisses me off like I'm sure it
pisses others off. But I can live with that. ***

However, beside the tutorial, there is no or very little 'official'
documentation. I'm thinking about "Once you understand that cake is
great... what's next!!?", "Building applications using cake...", "Cake
versus Joomla/Mambo/xoops/phpnuke... what's so different"... "What is
bake, what isn't it for."... These are obvious to all/most of us...
but not to everyone trying cake!

This brings us back to the initial thread... the "killer app". With
all due respect to cake and the author of the thread, wordpress is a
great blog, joomla a great news/content management, phpBB or vBuletin
great forums, osCommerce or phpShop great shopping cart, and the list
goes on and on and on...

To eveyone who call Cake a CMS, I say you just didn't get it!

This is to say (and this may sound a bit different from my previous
posts in this thread) that Cake is not a cms, it's a framework; an
advanced development toolkit for a web environment, likely to be used
for projects. What projects need, what projects don't want to code
again is;

* Security/authentication (cake is missing docs/have incomplete
implementations),
* ORM (bugs raised in regards to that were fixed very quickly,
congrats Nate!),
* Caching (haven't looked into that aspect of cake much, but I believe
caching the model might not be enough),
* Session management (.NET is still way ahead... cookie or cookie-
less...),
* RAD (Cake is a great starting point, but over 60% of admin views are
pretty much all the same!)

It might even be worth having a big notice on cake's homepage saying
"Cake will not build a website FOR you, it will help YOU DO IT!".

Anyways... sorry about the long post!... and.. that's my 2c btw...
don't bother flaming!

Seb.

*** coming back to the code and contributing... judging by the length
of posts, some of us CAN write here. Personally, a while ago I was
even willing to put a few hours a week, sometimes a day to push things
forward. But the process of convincing 'the project' something could
be worth it down the track is just too time consuming). I gave up (and
have been involved in open source projects before, never seen such a
strong objection to change). So.. when I have the opportunity of doing
something I'm good at (writing code or documentation) to help out or
charge a few hundred $/h for my services... sometimes the choice is
just too obvious!

so anyway... again, my 2 c!