Fascinating thread, and my hat is off to all who have chimed in.

I've been developing PHP/MySQL apps from scratch for four years, and
have just recently begun embracing CMSs, frameworks and anything else
that can speed up development. I'm very interested in CakePHP, and am
about 20 hours up the learning curve. Considering how little I've
accomplished in that time, I'm about ready to jump ship.

I don't doubt for a minute that CakePHP is an excellent framework. And
after an hour or two of tutorials, I was pretty stoked. Now it's time
for me to put CakePHP to work, and the going ain't so easy...

So take this for what it's worth: if you want to "change the world"
with CakePHP, don't bother creating a killer app. Instead, find a way
to flatten the learning curve by about 45 degrees. The API docs are
great, but the overviews and tutorials just don't give the CakePHP
newcomer what he/she needs. I have read time and time again of
developers heading in different directions (Code Igniter, for
example), because they just CAN NOT make sense of this framework. Or
they know they can eventually figure it out, but don't have the time
to spare.

I know the people who developed this framework make me look like a
bonafide stooge. But all that coding savvy is going to waste if this
spiffy framework remains an inscrutable tangle of half-baked
documentation and shallow tutorials. Documentation is no fun (I hate
writing it, we all hate writing it), but I believe it is KEY to the
widespread adoption of CakePHP.

Flame if you must, but I'm just trying to offer my perspective. As
near as I can tell, I'm the very type of developer you're hoping to
attract. I'll likely stick with CakePHP, but would switch in heartbeat
if another framework offered similar power and better docs. Time is
just too valuable.

Thanks for reading,

Loren