On 3/29/07, Lion29 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. Making a complete application would really help new bakers to
> understand the framework better. If I see the correct (pay attention
> to the word correct) implementation of helpers, components, behaviors,
> plug-ins, etc... I would understand the framework better and I would
> learn quicker and with no fear I am abusing the framework and
> developing something in the way it was NOT ment to be developed. I
> have read many times how the documentation of cake is great... my ass!
> sorry my word and maybe I am not showing the respects I should to
> writers... but I am just saying the things the way they are!

Okay, this I can agree with.  Having examples of a simple and
well-designed application built using CakePHP is a good thing.  I
think I'm having issues with the term "killer app" because the last
thing CakePHP needs is the label "it's only good for building <insert
type of system killer app is> systems."  CakePHP is good for building
MVC web applications.  Is that a good summary?

> 2. A "killer app" would help convincing developers that are between
> frameworks or to convince their bosses that mastering cake would bring
> benefits.

I thought that the goal here is to convince DEVELOPERS to use CakePHP,
not convince their dimwitted, risk-averse bosses to be willing to use
CakePHP.  Look, I've had this argument with my current boss at work
already.  He at least gave me sound reasons for not using CakePHP for
what we're doing because we're not building an MVC web application.

If they don't trust you to make correct technology decisions, why the
hell are you working for that person?  You've been relegated to being
a typist.  I prefer to be a programmer who stands up for his right to
choose his technology in the face of compelling evidence, even if that
position makes me unpopular with bosses and people on this list.

--
Chris Hartjes

My motto for 2007:  "Just build it, damnit!"

rallyhat.com - digital photo scavenger hunt
@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard