Personally I'd prefer to see all of this "energy" go into helping to
close tickets by writing tests, patches, documentation and offering
time/resources to join initiatives that need the help (i.e.
cookbook).  I just find that helping is superior to forking for
everyone in the community, unless you've tried to help and run into a
wall of some sort.

To use a personal example, I had thought of trying to fork a docs
initiative to concentrate on usage examples (less verbose than the
cookbook, more verbose than the API).  That may or may not be a good
idea, but instead, at least for now, I've been working on fixing a
checkout of the bakery, helping with Trac "cleanup" and (up until
recently) helping manage this google group.

I figure fixing existing issues by helping is better than starting
something else and leaving the community starving for assistance...